Friday, July 25, 2014

From the Kitchen :: Oatmeal-Maple Cookies



It was brought to my attention the other day that my children have never eaten a homemade oatmeal cookie.  This is probably due to the fact that my husband would much rather have chocolate chip cookies, and I try to cater to his tastes.  Oatmeal cookies happen to be one of my favorites, so we pulled out the mixer the other day during the little ones' naps, and mixed up these delicious cookies.


There are tons of recipes for oatmeal cookies, and you probably can't go too wrong with any of them. Although adding raisins is a definite turn off for me. I knew I had a recipe from my Mom, so I rifled through my disorganized recipe box and finally found her recipe:  "Can't Eat Just One Cookie".





I tweaked my Mom's recipe a little bit, giving these cookies a hint of maple and cinnamon.  They are the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy, and quite delicious.  Adding nuts or butterscotch chips would also be tasty.  Enjoy!


Oatmeal-Maple Cookies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 1/4 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together.  Add egg and maple flavoring.  Mix in dry ingredients until well combined.  Drop by spoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined baking sheets.  Push tops down slightly with a floured fork.  Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.



PS -- The kids loved them.


1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about making oatmeal cookies. Thanks for the recipe. On another note, I just had a conversation with a girl at church about you and your husband. Small world!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!