Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Five Years



"Thou shalt not murder," the Pastor read as he began his sermon.

I sort of grunted under my breath, "Oh, good grief."  And Bradley kindly put his arm around me.

I didn't want to hear an entire sermon about murder.  I know how awful it is.  I know it's wrong.  And five years can't erase the sting of that very word.  A lifetime won't erase the pain.

I remember the call as if it was yesterday.  It was my Dad.  It was about 2:30 in the afternoon in CA, 5:30 where my Dad was.  I don't remember the exact words, but something like, "I have some bad news.  Your brother is dead.  He's been killed."

My brother, and his girlfriend, murdered.  No warning, no reasons, no answers, no going back.  They were gone forever.

Forever gone, but forever with Jesus.

Jesus.

Five years can't erase the power that is in this Name.  A lifetime won't remove the peace that comes from His presence.

Jesus, who willingly gave up His life to break the power of sin.

Jesus, who rose again in order that we might have life eternal.

Jesus, who gives grace to walk through life's most challenging days.

Jesus, who will one day come again in power and glory.

And as I sat through a sermon about murder and the sacredness of life, I cried, yes, because I miss my brother and it still hurts to have him gone.

But, I also rejoiced.  Because what is most powerful about death is not the pain that it can bring, but that Jesus has conquered it.


Take five minutes, if you would, and listen to this song, and be reminded of the great truth that Jesus has risen from the dead.  


7 comments:

  1. Oh Lauren, I just sat at my kitchen table and cried with you, remembering that day. What beautiful words (and song). What a gracious Father we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this heartfelt post, Lauren! Of course it made me cry a lot, missing David in our family, but it also makes me praise the Lord a lot for the amazing and gracious hope He gives us in Jesus Christ! That song is not one you can listen to only once, so your readers will need to allow more than 5 minutes! Thank you for loving David, and thank you for loving Jesus and drawing strength from Him! "For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith in Christ." Col 2:5 Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully put...... I'm so sorry about your loss but so happy he knew Jesus! Since April I've lost all four of my grandparents (suicide, murder/suicide, and one to natural causes). While the devastation is still very raw I do have hope in Jesus that he is merciful and will continue to restore. We welcomed our fifth baby into our family during all this and are reminded each time we look at her there is always light in the darkness. Blessings to you and your beautiful family and may God continue to fill you with peace and restoration.
    autumnmcox@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of those losses. Yes, keep hoping in Jesus. He does restore and He has given us a Comforter greater than no other. Enjoy that precious sweet baby.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry friend. I'm glad your brother is with Jesus today.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!