Friday, August 22, 2014

Nutella Bars

Right after graduating from college I moved to Jordan.  I was on my own for the first time, in a new country, learning how to cook, grocery shop, ride in taxis, communicate in a foreign language.  I loved it.  I loved finding my way around town and discovering new shops.  I loved watching people interact in a new culture.  I loved the food:  falafel, shawarma, hummus, and fresh pita.  Every time I did my shopping I would buy pita from my favorite bakery.  It was fresh out of the oven and oh so wonderful.  

And then I discovered Nutella.

Nutella spread on warm, fresh pita bread is delicious.  That bread doesn't stay fresh for very long, so I had to eat it quickly.  

Then I gained five pounds.


Even though I eventually had to rid my cabinets of this delectable treat, I have always had a love for it.  My kids, not surprisingly, have also come to enjoy it.  Sometimes we just have 'chocolate' sandwiches for lunch.

I purchased a jar of this in order to make these cookies from Pioneer Woman {which are really good}, but the recipe only called for 2 tablespoons.  What to do with the rest of the jar?  Pinterest has lots of recipes calling for Nutella, but none of them really stood out to me.  So, I decided to make up my own.

These are good.  And fairly healthy.  If you're like me, trying to stay healthy but have a sweet tooth, these are just what you need.  The honey gives it the perfect amount of sweetness, and the Nutella provides a bit of chocolate.  Oats give you fiber, that makes them healthy, right?  Cut them as big or small as you like.  I used raw almonds, but Bradley and I decided these would be incredible with salted cashews.  No need to bake, just mix and chill.  Enjoy!


Nutella Bars

1/2 cup Nutella
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
3 cups instant oats
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds {or salted cashews}, optional

Melt Nutella, butter and honey in small saucepan, over medium-low heat.  Stir frequently so chocolate doesn't burn.  Remove from heat and stir in oats and chopped nuts, if using.  Spread into greased 8x11-inch pan.  Cover and refrigerate until hardened.  Slice and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!